Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hashbrown cupcakes

Goooooodmorning my good people! Hope everyone's having a fantastic week! So I've been really getting into cooking these days. That might come as a shock to people that know me, since before I got married, I didn't even know how to crack an egg (inside joke). I attempted to make Jell-O at least 7 times, unsuccessfully. I messed up ready-to-bake muffins, when all I had to do was take the pre-made muffins, put them in a tray and stick them in the oven. Ok I guess you get the picture. But, ever since I've been married, I don't know why, I ENJOY cooking. And I've realized that how you feel about cooking is the most important ingredient in whatever you're making. If you don't care for it, you can eff up something as simple as boiling water. But if you're passionate about it, you can make a tasty, elaborate Thanksgiving meal (which I did last year, with gravy and bread pudding and everything!).

I've been getting great recipe ideas from Pinterest, a website where you share pictures from people all over the world. It's pretty cool. It's kinda like expressing yourself through pictures, in different categories. Since I've been wanting to cook more and more, my "food" section in Pinterest is full of great recipes! I wanted to share a great recipe I tried yesterday, it was super easy, yet delicious at the same time. Here's a link to the original recipe: http://thevillagecook.com/idaho-sunrise-part-two

INGREDIENTS:

For the hashbrown cupcakes:

4 Idaho potatoes--small to medium size is ok
3/4 cup cheddar cheese, divided
1 1/2 to 2 TBSP Olive oil--always use good quality Olive oil!!
2 tsp salt
2 tsp fresh ground black pepper (I love black pepper, that's how much I put in. You can use less if you want)




Set the oven to 425 degrees. Grate the potatoes in a bowl, and mix in the rest of the ingredients. You can add crushed red pepper/cayenne pepper if you want the potato cakes to be spicy. I added a teaspoon of oregano for more flavor, but that's optional.



Put the mix in a muffin tray, creating a well in the middle, so the hashbrown cakes act like a waffle cone cup. Stick the tray in the oven for about 18 minutes. When you take out the tray, your hashbrowns should look like the picture below, the edges should be nice and brown!








Now what you want to put in the cups is up to your imagination! As per the original recipe, I did put an egg in three of them. All you do is crack an egg in the middle of the hashbrown cup, top it off with some bacon, cheese and some herb. I didn't have any herbs (my basil AND parsley plants BOTH died, thanks to stupid winter), so I used spinach. Put it back in the oven for about 13-14 minutes, until the eggs look cooked. I don't eat eggs, but my husband says there are very few things worse than an over-cooked egg! I made some vegetarian ones for myself, just add some tomatoes, red peppers, mushrooms and top it off with some cheese...the possibilities are endless! The pictures below are the egg hashbrown cups, since those looked the yummiest. Serve with ketchup or a hot sauce of some sort. I didn't take a picture of my veggie ones, but the oven-roasted tomato tastes SO good with the hashbrowns! Just make sure you toss the tomatoes in a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper before you put it in the oven.




Hope you try it and hope you like it!

2 comments:

  1. did you cook the egg before you put it in hash or do u bake it again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! Just crack the egg in the hashbrown cup thingie, and let it bake for 13-14 minutes. I think I forgot to mention that in the recipe lol...thanks for picking up on that Lil!

      Delete